Tuesday, February 21, 2012

East, West, Hame is best...

Someday. Maybe. I'll call Wibaux home. I love my husband and he's there and it's home in that regard of course, but it's not Home like Ashley Lake Home. I miss it much. It's natural I'm sure, but someday we hope to feel home where we can wallow in the homey-ness of the very word, home. Perhaps it'll be there, but who knows. We're happy and thankful. That's what matters.

The purpose of going home this time was to see my best friend Sue and help her with the kids while her husband is at work. I stopped via Ashley Lake first because we got a great slide show from DP and we had to make the baklava and turkish coffee which has cardamon in it. I can guarantee this is the strangest coffee you've ever seen made, but it is SO good!!

We made 6 batches of baklava resulting in a little over 300 pieces. Lets just say it's amazing even though I didn't and couldn't eat any, it was good. I know this on smell alone and the fact that the sampling by others was in the double digit surplus...

You see me using a paint roller. This is not a trick! It is the best invention ever- our USDA Food Grade paint roller for butter! Each phyllo sheet is separated and buttered, with a nut/spice layer for 3 layers and 5 phyllo sheets, then an entire package buttered and layered on that. I think there are 25 sheets to a package. It's time consuming but again, worth it!


This is what 6 batches of baklava looks like! We had such fun doing this. It was a great day!



Then we had to go for a walk because we're on our feet all day. And we needed fresh air. So we went around the road through the meadow and happened on some ice! Which was great ice for skating and we wished we had time to shovel snow. But we didn't, so we saw some sights, of which this was impressive!

Here are bird tracks to the left, an eagle or hawk wing imprint and then the fascinating 'knuckles' of a birds talons imprinted clearly in the snow. I have never seen this in such detail! It was incredible!


Then we went home- see?? It's Ashley Lake in all its winter, cow feeding grounds glory!!







And this is who went with us on our walk. She was so tired and curled up on her favorite perch. Little Whiski loves walks, but really she loves cuddles in a warm house!

2 comments:

Mama Moe said...

Oh, that looks so yummy! I sure miss that brother of mine! Give me a call if you're in Billings some time. :)

Mo said...

Fun pictures on your recent three posts!! I was just thinking about you yesterday morning wondering if you were back from going to help take care of the babies :) Looked like a wonderful time together!

Special to see your pictures at Ashley Lake Home too & times with your family! Yes, there's no place like "HOME" as that's where we grew up. A good share of our lives have been spent there with our family and lots of good secure memories there. It takes a little bit to build that same feeling in a new chapter in life, in a new location with new people -- but it will come!! And then you'll have more than one special "HOME" *smile* Hugs!