Big blue sky. This is a regular sight out here. I like the angle of the trail left by the airplane so arrogant of what's going on below because it's 35,000 feet down. I imagine the occupants of the plane are busy reading world news, or the latest book and have no regard to what's happening on the ground.
Miles of fence, billions of miles of wire, hundreds of thousands of acres that man doesn't see very often, and little towns of seemingly no consequence.
But, it's a matter of perspective. Up that high, the world below looks like funny little ants aimless in their direction. And on the ground, the immenseness of the sky, the rise and valleys of the ground makes the ol world here seem huge and unconquerable. It doesn't seem possible to get anywhere when no matter where you are, the horizon meets the land with an endless amount of distance on either side.
Dustin woke me up one Friday morning informing me that I had to take him to Watford City. I got a lot of these photos on the way up and no photos of Watford. Why? Because I was in such shock as to what that town was like. I couldn't wait to get out of there. It was so scary, a tiny little town where the ants descended and made a sleepy little town, voted the Best Town in North Dakota a few years ago to a over run and under cared for metropolis. It's horrible and not a pretty sight with thousands of campers and trailers popping up like villages every other block and takes 30 minutes to get out onto a 2 lane road.
But this cute little town below is indeed a town. This is Trotters. All that is left is the school house and a church.
A week ago, I had a melt down. The kind that I cried and cried and cried for 12 hours, for absolutely no apparent reason and when that happens, the only therapy is to go home.
Except I couldn't go all the way home. So I went to a 2nd home up in Plentywood which is another cute town that I didn't get any photos of. I'm really bad at this!
But I found refuge there, in the big country. We tore apart a basement and redecorated. I found my favorite chair in the world looking out to the rolling hills and farms beyond with a good cup of coffee and chatter for company. And found my equilibrium once again. I'm so thankful for 2nd parents and faithful, good, honest, friends.
Here is part of our decor, a huge clock and 'wheat'.
There is a line I read somewhere that said, "There is nothing like a magnum of French champagne and a fountain to set you right again." I've not had the experience, but it is safe to say, there is nothing like French clothing and good company to set you right again. It truly works!
This is Regina, Saskatchewan. A cute little city, and fun shopping. I said this to a Canadian and she nearly died... clearly she only believes Winnipeg is the best!! And I'll have to take her word for it until I can compare the two! That photo is for you ASB!
One of the funniest sights I saw coming up to Plentywood was this. Antelope, next 7 exits. It is not a lie, nor are there any roundabouts, stop signs, or clover leafs. Nope, just straight road as you can see below... but there are indeed 7 exits. For 7 driveways, each 200 feet apart.
And then, we head on to Baker. An old cow town that became a dirty oil field town years ago. It's starting to clean up a bit and become a self respecting little town as there are adorable shops and a fabulous coffee shop and little things that make you feel loved by a small town and yet cultured from a city. Go to Lawler's if you ever are through there. You can't miss it. It's the yellowest of yellow storefronts you can imagine :) You can see a portion of it just to the right of the photo of town.
I crack up at the dumbest stuff... but this stop n go storage.... yep, they were in such a go, they didn't stop to finish the rest of the phone number!




3 comments:
Richt back atcha, CGF!
Hey girl now you MUST return and finish the insanity we started!!! Sask was so much fun
thanks for the little tour, carmyn! i'm glad your second home and a second set of parents isn't too far away!
Post a Comment