Friday, December 16, 2011

Frost days, but not frosty company!


I have never been aware of the sunshine in winter in my life. I am used to not seeing the sun for 50-60 days at a time, but out here where the sun always shines, I start wondering where on earth it went if it's "out of sight" for more than a day.

We had wonderful company this last week. Dustin P and Heidi H came to see me for lunch and it was JUST what the Dr. ordered. Dustin brought me Huckleberry Jam to get through the winter. He has no idea that this is an actual Cure! And Heidi is hopefully planning a nervous breakdown here soon. Devin L came to stay with us for the night and we had a wonderful, wonderful 24 hours. The Dr. sure was giving out healthy doses of curatives all around. It came just in time for me too. Devin came inside and showed me this photo on his phone, so I had to sneak out and get one myself!

This is what we woke up to the other morning. A 1/2 inch of frost covered everything! It was so humid the temperature dropped towards zero and was that way for 2 days.


You can see the freeway to the left of the trees. It was pretty quiet and traffic moved slow. It seems that weather here shuts people down. I cannot understand it but people do not drive when it starts to look like bad weather. Then again I've never been in a true white-out blizzard either, but for now I humor my husband when he says, "We are staying put tonight!" and I agree although I think he's crazy!

 
And then like magic, the sun came out and the starkness of the snow against the brilliant blue sky encouraged us on again!

3 comments:

Mo said...

What beautiful pictures! Fun to hear about your week with company too! We've been thinking about all of you down there this week since being together last week-end! So glad for the chance to finally meet you!! :)

hi-d said...

aaaaah, it was so great to get there, carmyn! thanks for lunch and the wonderful company!

reagan. andrea. said...

This here is by far my favourite thing about winter! Wish there were more days with frost on everything! Beautiful shots!