Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Christmas

We're not a big family on Christmas, unless the occasional family gift swap which usually constituted of chocolate. I'm a big believer of chocolate, gift wise or not!  I never remembering there being a real Santa Claus and besides that, in lieu of presents, we voted for trips! And we took some great ones. I never remember a Christmas present I ever got, but I do remember staying at Bellows Beach in Hawaii, surfing with cousins in Oahu, going back to Alaska and seeing where I was born, watching the Silvers run in the Kenai River. Going to Banff National Park and staying in the resort, going to the Edmonton Mall where my youngest sister got lost, and all 6 adults and 10 kids panicked wondering where she went. We found her, staring at the roller coasters. I think she was 3 years old. She was totally chill.

We went back to Hawaii and stayed on the top floor of the condo, watching the whales jump while we watched the evening sunset, and attended a luau, flirted with the bus boys and got to snorkel at Hanama Bay. We crewed and sailed up to Desolation Sound from Bellingham and ate like kings off the fish and shrimp and oysters we caught. I can still see my dad getting excited about seeing fresh jumbo oysters and taking the skiff to shore before the boat had stopped! We sunned, slept, played, swam and found an old raft most likely lashed together by a modern day Huck Finn. We were much obliged because we had more fun diving off of it trying to touch bottom that was inky, creepy black! And we never could.

We went to Phoenix, stayed in the middle of winter, lounged in the pools and it was 75 degrees. Oh we loved that. And took a day trip down to Mexico where 12 of us slept the night in a two bedroom trailer. The bonus? The boys walked down the beach and purchased fresh salsa for 3 pesos.

We sisters stalked grocery stores looking for Hawaii Sweet Bread and Guava Jam, hiking through bamboo forests and seeing waterfalls. Then going up at night to Mt. Haleakala and seeing the moon rise behind while the sun set before you. Truly an amazing sight to do again. Having my swim suit come off in the ocean- oh the embarrassment!! Seeing my brother nap under palm trees and nearly fall out of the hammock. Watching mom and dad walk down the beach hand in hand.  Helping dad and my siblings build a sand castle. Seeing mom read an entire book in one day sitting ocean side. Nothing short of amazing since she's always up, going and doing and 90% of the time, cooking.

We also went to Seattle. There is nothing sweeter than being on Bainbridge Island, with my second set of parents. (I have a lot of 2nd sets) Watching air craft carriers float buy, picking sea shells, digging for gooey ducks and then us girls thrift shopping in Seattle and watching the fish fly at Pike's Market. We had such fun! What's even more fun was meeting up with our Rimbey, AB parents, Bainbridge parents and seeing our dad's and mom's chat, laugh, discuss, and reminisce fireside is sweeter than any candy and more of a security blanket than any gift could ever be. No, none of us will ever be rich but I can attest that all of us kids felt love, security, kindness and humor.

Those are just a few of the trips, some with friends, some not. I realize that what mom and dad were teaching us was money and presents weren't important. They know that what all kids crave is their parents' time. Certainly it wasn't easy getting a hotel for them and four kids and eating out, but it was time spent with us that we learned how to relax, how to have fun and most of all, appreciate each other. We didn't get ice cream on every street corner, and the souvenirs we coveted, didn't come home with us. I mean really, what are you going to do with 5 mini boxes that fit one piece of candy?! But fun we had. And memories we still talk about.

We're pretty lucky. Incidentally, we're taking trips in the D. Frasch Family instead of 'doing' Christmas. Our first started with Mexico, on our honeymoon. The man actually had to specifically go apply for a passport. But he loved it. And can't wait to go again. We will, but we've other places to explore first. For Christmas we joined my family in Fairmont HotSprings in Butte, MT. This is not the flashiest place, but we've spent many years coming to soak in the pools. Alas, I didn't get many photos because we were either water logged or full in the belly! But the few I did, will trigger memories.

Merry Christmas!




1 comment:

hi-d said...

ha! i like the story about you losing lynae...and she wasn't even worried. classic. i'm glad you had a nice time with your fam! fun to see a couple pics!