So. A blog is to jot thoughts. And on this jot, it's a filing of a complaint. A grievance that I can't get out of.
Seriously. I have never been so close to a particular birthday. 30. Thirty years of age. Three score years. Thartie The 3-oh. Thirty. In about 2 weeks actually. It's not a word I can really wrap my head around. The worst of it I have been teased about this day since I turned 27 and announced to my mother, more of a lament actually: "MOM! I've never been so close to thirty!" I swear I'll be 92 and still have that panic tinged, edgy loud voice that only works with the word MOM!
And my mother, being the incredible woman she is, paused for a half of second and says to me with a no-duh dead pan look, "You're Right"
Since that day, it's been announced at regular intervals. By my siblings. By my dad, my mom and those that have heard the story. Seems that all of them find a perfect excuse around the dinner table to tell company...
"Carmyn guess what! You've never been so close to thirty before!"
"OH! Wait. Right now!"
"And again!"
"Wow you're so close! No, closer!"
"Again and Agi- Again!"
It's like they were waiting for that moment for me to make that statement so they would have some appropriate blackmail. This is not what I had meant at the time. I was just amazed that I was no longer in my early 20's which is not something I had considered would actually happen. I knew it would, don't get me wrong. I was just thinking it would happen to someone else. That I somehow had the elixir of youth? Who knows. But for 3 years now I've been teased of this comment and in 2 weeks I will have done it. Like achieved Something. Great. Awesome. Waking up to one day and achieve a milestone of 10 decades? What, waking up the other 364 days a year each year was not enough??!
Birthdays are weird. I've never liked them. Maybe I did until I was about 26, then it was over for me. I lied. I liked them until I was about 10. Now I'm being asked what I want to do to celebrate? I don't know what I want! It's a birthday. The day before Valentines Day which is the only holiday that I really don't like at all. And Christmas. Okay, so I'm an Unromantic Scrooge. However, no V-Day has ever been a good one, so maybe if I go to bed on the 12th, I'll wake up on the 15th and all will be well! I'm not complaining (maybe a little bit) or wanting sympathy (seriously none), I'm just stating my opinion. Who dreamed up birthdays in the first place?! and even worse, who dreamed up Valentines' Day. Preposterous. I broke up with a guy on Valentines' Day once. It wasn't very nice, but then I don't pretend to always be nice.
It would be awesome to be somewhere in a city shopping and milling around and sight seeing- just a vacation! Eating good food (would be trickery cause of this GF stuff now) but nonetheless a change of pace now and again never hurt anyone's outlook. However, time off is a problem, and all the girls of mine are working or have their own plans with their significants. It's especially a problem when you have Mr. Wonderful who is 700 miles away and takes a little more than 2 days of the weekend to see him because I like him and want to spend more than 48 hours with him. Plus he just left a couple days ago and i don't think He can get time off again so quickly. (I know.) Valentine's Day is around the corner. It's best to not have expectations. Cause I really really REALLY like him and no matter what, if he brought me broccoli for a flower, I'd probably still think it was adorable. (Weird)
Anyway, I feel better now. I don't have all the things that people chalk up to being thirty- house, hubby, 12 kids, 72 loads of laundry per day, a mangy dog, kittens, 30,000 acres of wheat in the field, bread in the oven, a dinner party to plan for 22, house to clean, the rugs to wash, the panic that the cows and horses got out again, running lunch to the harvest crew, getting the pivot unstuck.... OMW! Sounds like so much fun!!! (except I'm never having kids, just for the record) But, Thirty is probably do-able. They say lots of good things happen when you're thirty. It's got 365 days to prove it.
PS Don't make any comments to Mr. Wonderful Re: Broccoli. He would totally try it.
PPS I wonder what other comment my siblings will trip me up with now after this "you've never been so close to 30" phrase has been closed....
No comments:
Post a Comment